Services > Places to visit > Český Krumlov > Things to do

Walking tour - Southern Meander

Map of the walking tour of Southern Meander

Jižní meandr
38101 Český Krumlov

Location: Český Krumlov
Type: Things to do

List of offers:

..Egon Schiele Garden Studio

Egon Schiele Atelier, Southern meander, Český Krumlov

The garden house on the terraced hillside was built in the 2nd half of the 17th century. In 1911 the painter Egon Schiele (1890-1918) lived and worked here. Willi Lidl, a pupil at the local grammar school, found the house for Schiele, negotiated the lease and requested the undertaking of a series of repairs and modifications. Thanks to the helpfulness of the owner at the time – a dry goods merchant called Max Tschunko – Schiele was able to live here for free with his redheaded girlfriend the model Wally Neuzil. He loved the “Summer“ house and flower-filled terrace. He created a series of studies here, drew the children who came to visit him, old women, retired soldiers and young girls. He painted Krumlov motifs in oils on wooden panels; thus creating such famous pictures as Town on the Blue River, Dead Town, Krumlov by Night or View of Houses and Roofs of Krumlov, for which he asked 100 crowns at the time. However, it seems that even at that price nobody in Krumlov was willing to buy the pictures as they did not correspond to the general taste of the day.

More than 100 years later the artists returned to this garden house again; since 2012 it is used in the winter half of the year as a residential studio where artists from all around the world create and exhibit their artworks. During the summer half of the year the house serves for the purposes of a public exhibition.


Synagogue, Southern meander, Český Krumlov

The synagogue from 1909 was re-opened again after the reconstruction in 2013. It is one of the few synagogues that survived the unsettled historical events of the 20th century.

The interiors today represent an admirable combination of preserved Art Nouveau decoration and hand-crafted perfectly processed historical replicas of the original furnishing. Inside you can find an exposition devoted to the history of the Jewish community and the spaces serve for the organisation of various cultural and social events. The former rabbi´s apartment with authentically restored Art Nouveau wall paintings now serves as the Synagoga Café offering seating inside as well as on the outside terrace. The surrounding garden provides a great place for relaxation and to children a possibility to enjoy themselves on a small playground.


Museum Fotoatelier Seidel, Southern meander, Český Krumlov

The photographic studio Seidel from 1905 is a worldwide unique sight from the history of photography.Its value lies especially in its complexity. The premises was built as a studio with a residential part for the family and as such it has been preserved until today.

The Seidel Photographic Studio now tells the story of the beginnings of professional photography and the local pioneers in this field – Josef and František Seidel. The visitors are taken back in time via the photographic images of the town and its inhabitants from the period of one hundred years ago captured in the vast works of two generations of photographers. The exposition astonishes with its authenticity, quantities of aluable glass plate negatives, period photographs and postcards creating „the chronical of the Šumava region“, as well as well-preserved, functional cameras, enlargers and other darkroom equipment. This outstanding collection is further enhanced by Seidel's personal notes, diaries, customer records, as well as the original furnishings. Apart from classical tours the museum offers its visitors also popular photographing in period costumes from the era of the First Republic.


St. Martin´s Chapel, Southern meander, Český Krumlov

The original cemetery wooden chapel is a significant architectural element in the southern part of the Town Park. The original cemetery chapel was built as a wooden structure in 1585 as well as the new cemetery moved to this area from St. Vitus church. In 1618 a new chapel was to be raised, but due to the uprising of the Estates the prepared material was taken away and used to fortify the castle. The construction of the new St. Martin chapel began, then, in 1717 together with the completion of the construction of the chapel on Cross hill. At that time the Jesuits constructed a house for ill people near the chapel who accepted it as a shrine. The chapel was further reconstructed in 1737. The high altar dates to 1763 and was made by the Krumlov sculptor Josef Mucek and painters Josef Putz and Christoph Anneis. The altar of St. Martin's chapel was probably made by a native of Velešín, painter and priest Bedřich Kamarýt (1831-1911). The rococo pulpit was made by the painter and carver Anton Leyer. The side altars are consecrated to St. Jan Nepomucký and St. Anna.

Today it is used for the purposes of occasional concerts and wedding ceremonies.


Music pavilon, Southern meander, Český Krumlov

The premises of the music pavilion was built during the second phase of the construction of the municipal park between the years 1924 and 1930. The light wooden construction of historicist morphology on an octagonal ground plan served as a place of promenading concerts, gathering and relaxing. Eight wooden pillars are linked by a purlin rim supporting a tent roof of complicated folded shape - a truncated octagonal pyramid topped with an octagonal cupola with a point. Originally there was wooden crated railing between subtle supporting pillars. An under-roof cornice was decorated by carved boards forming a caparison outline.

Today the gazebo became a popular place for organizing wedding ceremonies.